Monday, September 15, 2014

Birthdays and good people

Why yes I am working on my birthday. Such is life, as I got a rare Saturday off. Which was spent in the company of great and amazing people Who don't seem to mind drunk Dave so much. Their generosity of spirit is amazing!!

Thinking back on my life as it is, I think I learned a lot on the fine art of being social from my parents. If they worked at a place you could just assume they would be a social center of their group. I lose track of all the times their would be people over for BBQ's dinner, hanging out, playing cards etc. Their formula was simple. Create the environment bring the right people and the good time will follow.

So I tend to stick with a formula that works. I love entertaining or just coming up with excuses for people to gather. I don't need to be the center. More often than not it's just a lot of fun to see all these amazing folks that fate has gifted me with and seeing how they mingle and create among them.

This Saturday was a mix of ages, occupations, social classes and ideas. The one thing that is common among them is attitude. Open minded, adult enough not to break too much stuff and childish enough to enjoy getting out and getting a little odd.

The only downside was being reminded that I am in my 40's the next day I woke up a bit hung over, kind of fried in the lungs from a few cigarettes bummed from friends. (I will smoke when I drink too much but more on this in a second. ) I don't drink to excess often for this very reason. Thankfully nothing was broken, there were no warrants out for my arrest, and no notes from people saying I had behaved like a prick. All of which I will call good news.

I did have one thought that morning. I'm pretty much done with smoking in general. I think about 2 am on Sunday morning it dawned on me that it had lost it's pleasure and was now just something I did from force of habit. Which even at this age is kind of refreshing to think off. One less bad habit in my life. I might replace it with another but it doesn't seem likely.

So thanks to all who came out, bought me a pint or six.. teen...  And for having a laugh with as opposed to at me. Words can hardly convey how much you've come to mean to me. Aside from the going out and supporting me or playing designated river or whatever. There's also the support you've all given for my writing, photography and other works.

Sometimes you look around and realize you've been given an amazing gift, it just happens to be the people who surround you. Fuckin brilliant!!





No comments:

Post a Comment