Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Midnight at the Double Douche Part 15

It probably says a lot about the life I lead, that waking up in the backseat of a car with a blanket thrown over my head has become such a common thing that I barely register it as a sign of possible trouble. More like a necessity to the sort of person who likes to shake up the world a bit.

I tugged the corner down and noticed that I wasn't in the Aston. That was odd.

"Okay who are you fiends and where are you taking me?" I asked.

"Relax we're just doing our best to be across the border before the state police come looking for you." Jon said from the drivers seat.

"Why would the State Police be after me. I swear I wasn't even in this state 9 months ago!!" I said trying to rack my brain for some memory of the last day.

"Well it could be a small matter of the riot that broke out when your story came out." Kat said. "They're burning down the Governors mansion as we speak. We're pretty sure his wife and kids got out but no ones seen the Governor."

"Bastard is probably gonna use this as cover to flee the country." I replied sitting up.

"Will you kindly get the fuck down!" Kat hissed to me. "Right now the police are going to see if they can get you for inciting the riot."

"Was I present when the riot began?"

"For the record I will never give you that many of those pills again." Jon said.

"Stop play amateur pharmacologist and answer the question." I shot back.

"No, you weren't present, but after the interview on CNN, people decided to go sort out the guy in charge." Kat said. "Once you broke the story the local press grew a collective spine and all manner of things we didn't know about began creeping up."

"Oh all that lovely blackmail material editors like so much." I said. I felt a buzzing in my jacket pocket. I had a feeling I knew who it was.

Reaching in I grabbed my phone and held it six inches from my ear. "Hello?" I asked.

"WHERE THE FUCK ARE YOU?" Shelby asked in her usual opening tone.

"At a guess I'd say a hopefully short distance from the state line." I replied.

"Well drive faster, you're the states public enemy number one and that bastard of a governor just popped his head up from a command shelter demanding your arrest." She said.

"Oh good did he see his shadow? Because if he didn't that means an early.."

"Shut... the... fuck... UP!!" Shelby responded. "I sent you to cover a story, not to arrange for the collapse of a government."

"Well that, in this business, is what we call a nice added bonus." I replied. "Speaking of which I put the column online have you fucking paid me?"

"Yes, with a nice bonus to cover your legal fees, the article is at ten million hits and growing. Now get your ass the fuck out of that state." She hung up on me.

"How long till we're far away from this lunatic piece of prairie disaster?" I asked.

"Two hours." Jon said.

"Plenty of time for me to catch up on what happened, hand me my tablet."

Looking at it I saw I had lost two whole days.

Shit.

"What happened to Cole?" I asked.

"He's still alive. When the article broke the feds jumped in and put every death penalty case under review." Kat said.

Mission accomplished. Now. How had I done this?

"All right I require..."

I hadn't even got close to finishing the sentence when Kat handed me a bottle of Bushmills. Best assistants in the world I tell ya.

I took a swig and began reviewing the last two days.

No comments:

Post a Comment