Friday, September 26, 2014

Midnight at the Double Douche art 14

I returned at roughly the same time as Jon and Kat. Both of them were smiling as I walked in. Meanwhile I was doing my best to avoid feeling like I had canary feathers in my mouth.

"So where do you want me to begin?" Jon said. "He's neck deep in the religious right, but the ongoing rumour is he's got a mistress or three on a string. He's been running  serious anti drug legislation through the local legislature but his holding company is under writing several pot farms in Colorado."

I looked at Kat. "It just get's better. He's selling his companies share in a port and warehousing company to a sovereign capital fund owned by a foreign nation. Throw in that he appointed the regulators who are approving the deal and we have some really great conflict of interest issues." She smiled wider. "On top of that I have a former sheriff who is closing out the end of his life with pancreatic cancer who swears that the governor got him to plant dope on a rival in an early election for city council."

"Can you get him to give his name and comment on tape?" I asked.

Kat held up her phone. "Got it, with it backed up in three cloud locations."

"Remind me to look into that raise. For both of you."

"It's coming from petty cash again isn't it?" Jon asked with a smirk.

"Yeah but it's two cents more an hour than you got last week so be grateful." I grinned. "I was not idle either and we might have capper for all this." I smiled as I explained the details of the land deal and it's complete lack of anything actually being sold.

"So how did they handle the initial payouts on the security?" Jon asked.

"My guess is that the bank that issued it probably took money from the holding company then paid it back to the investors just long enough to make it look genuine. Then when all the instruments tanked around it they stopped making payments said it was a toxic asset and asked for their insurance money." I replied.

"Damn who do we talk to first about that?" Kat asked.

"I think it's a foot race between the FBI, Secret Service and SEC." Jon said.

"Secret Service?" Kat asked.

"They're a branch of the treasury department and technically speaking what they did was wire fraud, bonus points if the IRS decides to look into the deal and see what taxes weren't collected." I replied.

"I think we might own him." Kat said.

"We might just, but we need to play this right or it all falls apart. If we time it right we might keep some people from the end of a rope." Jon said.

"No time like the present then, here's what I have in mind."

No comments:

Post a Comment