Saturday, August 2, 2014

Where the hell did that come from?

So I've been writing a story in serial form for the last few days which has been a blast. But of course everyone who has read it wants to know what sort of corner of my mind did this all come from?

Seriously it all started with a dream where I was on some sort of deranged mission impossible/Hunter S Thompson style road trip with a few good friends and a lady I know passingly who works in the adult film industry.

Apparently this is what I get for reading Transmetropolitan and drinking green tea before bed.

So as I rolled the idea around in my mind the more preposterous it seemed which meant it was kind of perfect for me to pop the bubbles other people have around ideas and off we went. I love the notion of hiding truth in absurdity. Or at least what I perceive to be truth.

I do plan to take some swipes at the notions of slut shaming, the whole list of odd double standards we as a society have in regards to gender roles, capitalism as a religion to some modes of political thoughts and a host of pundits who would likely do their best work with their mouths sewn shut.

I will say that I was quite pleased when a writer of my acquaintance said he thought it felt like it was written by Douglas Adams and Hunter S Thompson sharing a typewriter and bong hits.

So for those of you who want something similar I suggest you go to your local comic store and buy a series called. "Transmetropolitan." It's an epic update of the gonzo style of journalism brought up tot he 25th century featuring an insane character named Spider Jerusalem and his two "filthy assistants." It's an amazing series that managed to make me laugh shed tears and leave me both thrilled and heartbroken.

None of that is an exaggeration, it really is that good.

Also check out the Terry Gilliam film of Hunter S Thompson's novel "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas." It features Johnny Depp and Benicio Del Toro in the lead roles with a slew of amazing cameos. (Watch for Flea from the Chili peppers licking LSD off of the sleeve of Johnny Depp's jacket.)
It's a Terry Gilliam film so it's a mash of amazing visuals and genres that bears repeated viewing.

I'll be writing that and regular blog posts, if you want I have made a separate section for the finished serialized sections of the story all edited together because frankly I can't figure out how to make the chapters separate on a new page.

Thanks so much for your time and reading my fits of madness. There's more to come and I hope you enjoy.




No comments:

Post a Comment