Thursday, July 3, 2014

Misogyny and Slut shaming. Seriously WTF?

So I keep thinking about this subject, especially since Mondays ruling, and every time I do my mind coughs up a mental hairball preventing me from really bringing the full force of my more sarcastic neurons to aim at it.

As much as the ruling from the Supreme court really got on my nerves, it was the reaction from a lot of men and some women that left me sitting there alternating between scratching my head and wanting to buy a skateboard so I could smack a motherfucker in the face with it.

The reactions I saw mostly came down to. "Well if you can't afford birth control maybe you should keep your legs closed." Or some variety there of. Continuing a long running trend of missing the point in the whole hormonal birth control debate. Which among other thing includes notions that it's used to regulate women's cycles, relief from acne, endometriosis and other effects, but because it involves sex the hard core narrow minded tend to  miss that.

No instead we get these sorts of comments, and I kind of wonder why. Excuse me while I show off my self interest but a world full of women with closed legs does seem to me to be hellish at best, and not the sort of thing we should strive for.

I think it shows off a huge dichotomy in the way we view sexual desire and relations based on which gender is having them. Any guy can wander around looking over the women in any club claim he wants them all and he's a stud, but if a woman announces she wants every guy, she's a slut.

Now we all already know this. We've heard that quote millions of times yet somehow we never really examine why this is.

I would love to grab a group of people who are intelligent and articulate and talk this one out sometime. But in the meantime I'll advance some theories.

First off there's the notion that a woman is in some way shape or form a possession. Brought to us by Abrahamic faiths and a few Milena of patriarchy. Clearly a possession has no use for the notion of her own desires or pleasures, and therefore any woman who does is not acting within her God given societal role. Henceforth if she's acting like a man or showing signs of sexual desire like a man she's a slut simply for not playing the game the way we want her too.

Second it could be physical jealousy. Let's be honest here, barring the use of pharmaceuticals even the most physically capable man is gone start flagging after he gets to the fourth or fifth woman in line.  Women on the other hand, if you'll forgive the phrase have a deeper well for the physical aspect of sex and can go much longer and take more partners. Let's face it we as guys tend to be vain creatures with fragile egos, and this is a subject that can hit a guy square in the ole.. well yeah.

From a practical aspect the notion of slut shaming seems to be (At least in this bastion of mid west "values") based upon the idea of a woman admitting she likes sex in general or worse yet has ongoing sexual relations with multiple partners. Something that if a guy said it  would get him slaps on the back and a free pint at the local bar.

Which is why I don't really get it I guess. Maybe I'm just the odd one out but the notion that a woman might enjoy sex doesn't bother me, in fact I find it admirable and I do my best to help out with their enjoyment when I can.

For me it's all about a rather sub conscious system of control for women. Something we should perhaps finally acknowledge, confront, and hopefully move away from. The world is full of problems but the worst ones are the problems we fail to notice as they're "just how things are."

Like what ya read? don't like what you read? Got a comment or suggestion? Get in touch, I'd love to hear from you.
And here's today's fun link.

Professor Elemental. "Fighting Trousers."

No comments:

Post a Comment