Saturday, July 19, 2014

umm words...The quest for something to say.

Seriously I should not attempt anything that requires more thinking than say pouring coffee on a saturday morning. My fridays and saturdays are weird. It works like this.

I get up at 645 am. Which for me is kind of an accomplishment in and of itself. I've been working some variety of second shift for  20 some odd years with the exception of the five years I was going to school. For an associates. Yeah, look some of us take more time than others.

I then throw on some clothes, grab my goody bag. (Loaded with my macbook, ipad, microphone and other stuff and make it to my car. Then I do my best not to hit pedestrians, irritate cops or draw fire from soccer moms who are likely more stressed than me. After that I stop by Hy Vee for some truly horrible breakfast food substitute and a large mug of coffee. (Although sometimes Hy Vee has a plastic jar of Pineapple for sale at their gas station, and when they do the day is declared a win.)

I then arrive at school and help students or do what Bob Maas asks me to do, within reason. If none of this shit is going on I write. To date I have finished the first drafts of three novels here. Seriously I love this job, no sarcasm. I am either helping people with their projects or working on my own.

Then once this job is done I hop in my car and  drive a mile to women's hospital. Where I do my best to make sure the doctors and nurses all have what they need to bring new life into the world or keep the lives that all ready exist from floating away. It can be interesting but thats a story for another time.

So by the time I walk out the door at 930 pm I have pretty much been at work from 730 to 930. That's a 14 hour day for those of you keeping score at home. By the time saturday night rolls around I am underslept, usually a bit over stressed, tired beyond reason and kind of cranky.  Go ahead ask me if I want to go out for a beer, if I say yes prepare to enjoy the show.

Sunday is currently my only actual complete day off for reasons that are hard to explain. (The short version, Women's Hospital is experiencing an explosion of incoming moms. All of whom apparently need stuff, this stuff is provided and inventoried by yours truly.) Monday and tuesday I work half days.

At this point I am dead tired and looking forward to Sunday where I will meet friends, talk about video editing, and paint stuff for an upcoming project. (Anyone got old CRT monitors they want to get rid of for an art project?)

In other news I am working on a trailer for a book which seems pretty awesome. I was going to work on that today and do some voice overs but, the air conditioning wont turn off here, and that makes recording difficult. Unless you're seriously into the sound of buzzing as a duet with my voice then you can get all you want.

Ohh like I said I have three first drafts done. I was thinking of putting one or two of them up online for people to read but before then I would love to have some editing help. Anyone interested. Hit me up in the comments section.

So when people ask me why I rarely do things on weekends thats it in a nutshell. My days off tend to be odd ones. For example I got this wednesday off specifically to go see the Talking Heads Concert film "Stop Making Sense." Which in my humble opinion is one of the few concert films that works as an actual movie.

The fact that there's a new whiskey bar and shop opening the same day is merely a coincidence.

So hope you enjoyed the rambling. I figured I'd break away from the serious stuff for a bit. Next time we'll talk about music, or art or maybe rape culture, we'll see what kind of mood I'm in. If you have a suggestion hit me up with a comment.

As a final note I am about to take hostages if I don't get a nice long back rub soon.

Big Business from Stop Making sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment